Monday, December 24, 2007

where is the pup? 1 of ?

the pup is on vacation.

the good news is that modern hotels, even cheap ones, have wireless access. The expensive water park the children and grandchildren stayed at had only "old-fashioned" ethernet.

and they made money selling the access cables.

so it all started on a warm last day of autumn in Kennesaw. I left the house, got gas, went back for missing items, went to Publix for ice, went back home, and finally left Kennesaw via US41.

what a shock crossing Lake Alatoona. there really is no water in it.

swiftly passing through GA, got to TN. a mess of traffic on I40/75 in west Knoxville. luckily there are now lots of lanes.

KY was mostly uneventful until I reached Ft Mitchell

I exited I75 at Buttermilk Pike. I began to feel an emotion rise up in me I could not name. I stopped at Blessed Sacrament Church but it was locked.

I went down Highland past Gertrude's house, then past 217, our old house. The neighborhood looks so small now. Cozy. Yet I was about to cry.

This didn't happen the last time when Kat was with me. But then it was day and not Christmas, and I was not alone.

I went to City Hall. The black stone monument still does not have Dad's name -- 22 yrs of service not worth remembering.

Then down Greenbriar, to Kroger's across from the cemetary, and onto 75N.

As I was passing King's Island, I saw a sign for Great Wolf Lodge. Large living quarters -- maybe 7 stories high, but smallish water park w/limited # of slides. Price about the same as Kalahari/Sandusky.

No comments: