Tuesday, February 10, 2009

point, counterpoint

point

counterpoint

I agree w/most of what JW says. And I think Newt is a great communicator and idea organizer. However I think the Democrats and the Republicans both face the challenge. The former unified for long enough to win an election. But if you poll the officeholders who won election, I don't think there would be a good consistent definition of what a Democrat is, other than a brand that is currently preferred. Conversely I don't think there would be a good consistent definition of what a Republican is, other than a brand that is currently not preferred. Ditto for liberal and conservative.

I have been a Republican for 47 years. It appears to me that the party is at the moment not focused because it is so divided by people who are so passionate for one tree that they ignore the forest. It has not so much lost its way as it forgot it must always be vigilant to check that it is still on any path much less the right path (pun intended).

No comments: