Sunday, October 25, 2009

what color are your goggles?

Beer goggles, I am told, is a code word for the impairment of judgment, not to say vision, that affects one who has imbibbed alcoholic beverage(s). It is used to explain partner choices, often adverse, made under those conditions.

My experience tells me this metaphor (goggles) is able to be used in a wider context. E.g., I think I have experienced "stress goggles" from both sides. Many people, I have observed, start by changing their voice when stressed - it gets an edge. I have found myself doing that, even of the source of the stress is myself.

This voice change affects the behavior of those around the person stressed. Loving sounds change to belligerent. Requests sound like commands.

The person stressed becomes less aware of the reality of those around them and has a tendency (as I have experinced from both sides) to misjudge others, either because of haste, or as in the case of alcohol, impaired judgment.

No comments: