Friday, May 9, 2008

Mothers as blessings

A first grade teacher seated her students in a circle. She asked them what they wanted to be when they grew up. One by one, each child got up and announced, "I'd like to be a nurse like my mother," or "I want to be a banker like my father," or "I want to be a teacher like you, Miss Smith."

The last child to speak was the most shy and timid little boy in the class. He said, "When I get big, I'm going to be a lion tamer in the circus. I'm going to face those animals with my whip and chair and make them leap through hoops of fire and obey all of my commands." Seeing the disbelieving looks on the faces of his classmates that he could ever act so boldly or bravely, he was quick to reassure them, "Well, of course, I'll have my mother with me."

Many of us have had the self-confidence to accomplish great tasks because we knew that our mothers would be there to support us. In a couple of days, we will have a special opportunity to honor mothers. I think this is a valuable holiday because, if you are a mother, you will likely never much special recognition for the work that you do รข€" training your children to love God, teaching them compassion, instilling self-confidence within them, developing character and teaching morals. You will perhaps never be honored publicly, given a medal (or even a certificate), or be compensated monetarily. All that you do may go unnoticed and unappreciated at times.

Be assured, though, that there is great value in what you are doing. On Mother's Day, may you receive the honor due you.

"Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her." (Prov 31:28)

And be assured that someday you will receive the honor from your heavenly Father for the difference you make in the world.

No comments: