Wednesday, December 3, 2008

more of the poem without rhyme

pt 1

addendum to prior post

My father's father married the sister of his sister's husband.

The other side:

My mother's (Vera) parents were named Catherine and Joseph. He died in the decade before I was born. He was a shoemaker. Although Bill did not mention it, I think he was an organizer for a union.

They also lived in Covington, on Hermes avenue, which is below the "big bend" on 25-42. House probably gone now.

While I always thought they had a house to themselves, Bill said Monday night that the had the second and third floors of a house. Grandma and Grandpa had a bedroom on the lower floor. There were two bedrooms on the upper floor - one for girls and one for boys.

The oldest child was Gertrude - Trudie. She never married but had suitors into the 1950's. I remember one called "Mr B". Wore a suit and had a hat.

She was a successful business person in job placement. Her last job before she had cancer was with "Kelly Girl". She got me my first three jobs, including my first IT job. She was good enough that they continued to pay her something after she quit working - the story was she was paid for not using her contacts to work from home.

She owned the house in Ft Mitchell in which she, her sister Emma, her mother and her uncle Henry - Hank - lived. When she died in the 1960s, my father was the executor of her estate. She left $500 to each niece and nephew (8) and an extra $500 to her godchildren (my brother Tom and Bill's daughter Eileen). She also had listed all assets of hers and a beneficiary for each, down to some small items that people had asked for. She left the house and her monetary assets in trust. Hank stayed in the house until he died. I remember seeing her name on the tax bill and in the phone book well after her death.

I visited her house a few years a go. The current owner said he had been offered middle 5 figures for the fireplace, a Rookwood Pottery original.

to be continued

No comments: